Thursday, May 6, 2010

PCRE Toolkit Question

I've been asked why the database for the libraries uses binary data.  The answer is simple enough, because of some characters used in the Regular expressions, databases wouldn't play nicely so there were 2 possible solutions.
  • Use Binary
  • Escape the stored data
The second may have been a bit more user friendly since it would allow the user to edit the data directly in the database, however the binary method was one that I'm very familiar with and has worked well in the past.  I now have a couple of simple escape functions (compliments of jchd) for the database and I may indeed switch to method 2 at some point in the future.  There is definitely no rush because anything that should be edited by the user can be done with the edit button on the Library tab.  The new version includes a new database table that includes some application settings and the editor does not have access to that table.

Another question.
Why can't I delete the Samples library?  You can as long as it's not the default library.  In order to do that, at least one other library must exist and you must change the default to a different library.

Whats in store for the next release?  Hopefully I'll get rid of the Up/Down buttons and make it so you can move an item just by dragging it where you want it to go.  I'm also considering having new libraries available for download at some point and that may be started in time for the next release.  I'm also going to attempt to get at the much hated documentation.

Enjoy what there is and check back for changes.

You can either report bugs to me through a PM in the AutoIt forums or by leaving comments on this blog.

No comments: