Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lets get started

Alright already!! Just hang on, I'm getting around to adding some content for you to admire (or not).

If you have to ask the question "What is AutoIt?", you are on the wrong blog and probably in over your head already.

Let's start with a few of the AutoIt forums most asked questions and I'll attemp to keep the language suitable.

Q #1 - Is Valik an arsehole?
A - Yes! And that's by his own admission.

Q #2 - What made him that way?
A - Primarily people who ask idiotic questions in the forums without making any attempt what-so-ever to open the help file and find the answers themselves or ask questions that are prominently displayed as "Sticky" topics.  He worked extremely hard and long to get where he is today with his coding skills and rightfully expects others to expend some effort in learning how to write their own code.

Q #3 - Are there others in the forums that are like Valik?
A - Valik is one of a kind.  Now if you mean "Are there others with the same attitude as Valik?" then the answer to that is a resounding Yes, including myself .  What made us that way? Did you read the answer to Q #2?

Q #4 - What is the best way to learn AutoIt?
A - There are several excellent resources available and I'm going give you links to some of them but please remember that your most important resource is the AutoIt help file itself.  Take the time to study it before you end up with a taste of Q #1 and Q #3. Now for those links I promised.
Q #5 - Why can't I ask questions about a bot that breaks a TOS for the game?
A - We (as a community) have fought long and hard to keep the reputation of AutoIt "clean".  We don't want any individual or group destroying that for the rest.  If AutoIt gets a bad reputation with game sites, anti-virus companies and the like, we end up with all kinds of things happening including (but not limited to) having anti-virus companies flagging AutoIt on general principal.  That is not fair to the rest who are attempting to write serious code.  If you engage in such practices then leave AutoIt out of it, you will not be welcome on the forums and we would appreciate it very much if you just quietly went away.  Of course the moderators have an alternative if you decide to stick around and make life miserable for the rest of us.

Q #6 - I asked for someone to write me some code and the only answers I received were insulting. Why?
A - The AutoIt community as a whole is not there to write your code for you.  We are there to help you diagnose and solve problems you may run into with the code you have written.

Q #7 - Why shouldn't  I "bump" my post for 24 hours?
A -  Really there are multiple answers to this one, including because it gets annoying, but I'll stick to the primary ones here;
  • Not everyone on the forums is in the same time-zone as you so those with the appropriate answers may not have even seen the question in less than 24 hours.
  • We answer proper questions when (and if) our own schedules permit.  Remember that the only person that really cares about your code is you.  As for the rest of us, we could usually care less about it but we will help you.  Just make sure you give us something to work with, like some code that you tried and can't get to work.
Q #8 - How do I take some of your comments in the forums?
A - The general rule is with a grain of salt.  I love injecting a bit of humor whenever possible but (unlike most) I abhor the use of smilies to let someone know when I'm kidding.  Once you have been around long enough you will learn to figure it out.

Okay, that's already more than what I was going to include in the first post but you can look forward to much more later.  Well alright, just one more question.

Q - When will I see some more of this invaluable information?
A - When I feel like posting it so don't bug me.

No comments: